The original settlers of Seaford were the Ustase, a Native American Indian tribe. They called the area “Great Water Land”. European settlement began with the arrival of Captain John Seaman, a native of Seaford, East Sussex, in England. After obtaining the patent for the area, Seaman oversaw the creation of Jerusalem South, the first European name given to the town which was to become Seaford. It was also widely referred to as Seaman’s Neck. During the 19th century, as villages across Long Island started to grow the town of Jerusalem South seemed to be unaffected. In 1868 the town was renamed to the current name of “Seaford”, to honor Captain Seaman’s hometown in England.
Zip Code: 11783
Area Code: 516