West Islip is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) within the Town of Islip in Suffolk County, New York. West Islip is on the south shore of Long Island. The first people to settle in this area more than one thousand years ago were the Secatogue Indians. The unearthing of an Indian burial ground north of West Islip beach enabled historians to reconstruct a village of these Indians who lived along the edges of the Great South Bay, Sampawams Creek, Trues Creek and Willetts Creek. In the early 17th century, the West Islip area came under the influence of the Dutch. In 1664 it came under English rule when the Duke of York claimed Long Island with the permission of King Charles II.
Zip Code: 11795
Area Code: 631